Ketchum Road (Pittsford-Victor Road) was opened in 1812, providing a link between Canandaigua, Victor, and Rochester. It became a major stage route, and commercial activity centered around the need to provide taverns and shops for travelers. While Bushnell’s Basin was a significant community on that stage route, it owes its major development to the Erie Canal. By 1820, canal construction was approaching southwest Perinton and the hamlet of Bushnell’s Basin. Because the topography was right, a “basin” or wide waters had been constructed which allowed canal traffic to turn around. John Hartwell and his son Oliver purchased a large section of land in the area which abutted the wide waters and constructed a store, warehouse and boatyard.
In addition, John contracted to build the embankment over which the canal would pass. Needless to say, both prospered and the area became known as Hartwell’s Basin. As headquarters for the construction of the Great Embankment that would extend the canal over Irondequoit Creek to Pittsford and the terminus of the Erie Canal between 1821 and 1823, the Basin became a boom town. The Embankment itself raised the canal as much as 70 feet above the surrounding area in order to cross the Irondequoit Creek and valley. This extraordinary engineering feat was built by laborers who carried dirt, debris, and logs in wheelbarrows from nearby hills and fields to construct the culvert for Irondequoit Creek and the mile-long embankment.
During the building of the Erie Canal, engineers, laborers and canallers lived, worked, and played in the Basin. Taverns and businesses thrived. William Bushnell, an entrepreneur, bought out Oliver Hartwell, built a complex of boatyards, warehouses, stores and stables along the canal wide waters, and ultimately gave his name to the growing hamlet. Commercial enterprises took advantage of the safe and efficient transportation offered by the canal. The Rand Powder Company established itself in the area of today’s Powder Mills Park. Area farmers also made use of the canal to ship their goods east and west. The community prospered.
Richardson’s Tavern, perhaps having the largest bar in the East, was certainly among the most well-known of the canal taverns in the area Horses and mules were quartered under the porches and regular travelers could find a spot in the straw on the third floor. The more well-to-do might stay with the tavern keeper. By the 1960’s, however, the tavern was in such a state of disrepair that it was scheduled for demolition. Fortunately for Bushnell’s Basin and Perinton, however, it was saved and is now listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It stands as a centerpiece for the Bushnell’s Basin Historic District along with several other restored 19th century buildings.
Charles Dickinson and Cyrus Leonard, however, were fearful that the wild “canawlers” were endangering their children’s morals and gathered neighbors together to sing hymns and read scripture. In 1831 they built a small white clapboard church in the center of town. It served as a Congregational Church, a Methodist Church, an Episcopal mission, and a community church. Susan B. Anthony is said to have lectured there. It was rebuilt in 1873 and has had several additions since. More recently, it has been used for commercial purposes.
Once a hotel, this is more familiar to us as Richardson’s Canal House. In this photo, taken some time between 1903 and 1912, a Rochester and Eastern trolley car has just passed over the canal.
Bushnell’s Basin’s District 9 school, which once stood near the intersection of Pittsford Victor Road and Garnsey Road.
The great canal break of 1912 in Bushnell’s Basin is documented here. High in the distance the washout of the canal bank is visible. Photo provided by Johanna Hayford.
This early 1900s view looking to the west in Bushnell’s Basin includes the Charles Moss house at the left, and the station of the Rochester and Eastern trolley line behind the unnamed young man. Photo provided by Johanna Hayford.
Bushnell’s Basin’s first Fire Department building, built in 1941. Photo provided by Johanna Hayford.
A canal break in 1911in Bushnell’s Basin is the subject of this photograph. The large building is a cobblestone warehouse.
This photo shows the destruction of the Marsh Road bridge during the canal break of 1911 in Bushnell’s Basin. In the distance is a bridge which carried the Rochester and Eastern trolley tracks over the Erie Canal.